Friday, March 5, 2010

February not-so-break

There are two reasons I work in the school system: School breaks and summers.
Well, I guess 3. I also love the fact that when Avery starts school, I'll be on relatively the same type of schedule as him.

Whenever I have one of those mornings where I don't want to get out of bed (which is pretty much every morning), I just remind myself that there's only X amount of days until the next school break. And two weeks ago, that's exactly what I did on that very last Friday before February break started.

I couldn't wait to do all of the things that I typically can't as a working mother. I was anticipating finishing projects around my house, getting some cleaning done, and spending time with Avery. In fact, I made a long list of everything that I had been putting off for months on end. It looked a little something like this:

February Break To-Do List:
  • Get caught up an Laundry for the first time since Christmas break (sigh).
  • Register and study for the Praxis Exam.
  • Finish my licensing portfolio for Department of Ed.
  • Take a nap in the afternoon when Avery naps (sleep should actually be at the top of my list, it's near and dear to my heart these days...).
  • Take Avery to Story Hour at the library.
  • Take Avery to play group on Tuesdays at the local recreation center.
  • Send out the Save-the-Dates for my wedding.
  • Have the 3 Z's come up for a couple of nights.
  • Take a trip to see my family in Waterbury.
  • Go through all of Avery's clothes and get rid of the stuff that doesn't fit(never-ending process, he grows faster than I can complete this task).
Maybe it makes me a selfish mother, but I also couldn't wait to take advantage of the fact that Josh has a weekday off, and despite school being out, daycare is still open. So I could do things that I haven't done since Avery was born.

So I made another list, which I call the selfish mother list:

Selfish Mommy List:
  • Go shopping for clothes that actually fit me.
  • Get a haircut.
  • Go to the gym (at least once).
  • Go to the grocery store without a 9 month old pulling everything off the shelf and trying to climb out of the cart.
  • Leave my house without a diaper bag for a minimum of 3 times.
  • Get out of my car to go pay for gas without having to lug my child along with me.
  • Enjoy a glass of tap water without my child throwing a screaming fit because he wants to try it himself.
Needless to say, I was excited about February break. That Friday, when the bell rang at the end of the school day, I was bursting with joy. I wanted to run, and scream, and jump up and down.

Until Avery woke up the next morning with a horrible head cold, and flu like symptoms.

My kid is not really the independent type to begin with. He loves being around me no matter what we're doing, but I guess all kids love their moms. However, when he's sick, he needs my 110%, full attention All.of.the.time. I can't set him down without him screaming and crying. Not even to use the bathroom. It's like he's a little newborn infant all over again, needing constant comfort and cuddling.

So Avery was not just sick for a few days, he was sick for the ENTIRE February break. Miserably sick, too. The same type of sick he was over Thanksgiving break. *sigh*.

And the list remained.

I needed to surrender. I needed to just say to myself, "Alice, welcome to motherhood."

But I was determined to at least complete some of what I wanted to accomplish. So I put my little helper to work, and together we checked off a few items on my list. I also managed to get a haircut, and a few new work outfits. So I suppose my 10 day break wasn't absolutely, totally wasted.

And now, here I am, back at day 1 out of 35 school days until Spring break. Yay.



No comments:

Post a Comment