Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Second Birth of Christ

From living and working in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont for over 8 years now, I've quickly learned that Income Tax Return Season can be closely compared to Christmas. In fact, it's like Christmas time all over again, 1 month later. It's probably more widely celebrated than the holidays that fall right in the midst of the season- such as MLK Jr. Day, Groundhog Day, President's Day and perhaps even Valentine's Day. Because in this region of the Northeast, the day that one's tax return comes in, marks something very similar to the second birth of Jesus Christ.

In past years, I've enjoyed getting my lump sum of $500-$800 back in income taxes. It was always a relief to be able to pay off some bill, or get ahead on the mortgage, or go to the mall and buy a few new work outfits. A few years ago it couldn't have come at a better time- we were were able to afford an emergency surgery for my cat that saved his life (yeah I get that it would have saved me 800 bucks to have him euthanized.... I mean it when i say I LOVE my cat). So I guess I always liked the tax return, who wouldn't? But it wasn't until this year that I realized what Income Tax Return season was really all about.

Usually we file our income tax via some program on the Internet. This year, since we had Avery, and had bought a few large items to write off as work expenses, we decided it would make more sense to go to HR Block. Let me tell you, it didn't only make sense, it was a godsend.

When the tax lady made the announcement on exactly how much Josh and i would receive in tax return money, my jaw dropped. It was literally like winning the lottery.

I won't share with the general public exactly the amount we got back, but I will share that I finally get the reason to celebrate. I now know, in the month of February, why people are all of the sudden purchasing brand new cars, and taking vacations to Florida, and wining and dining at expensive resturaunts, and buying themselves brand new wardrobes. Because when you are single with dependent children, like a lot of people who live in Northern Vermont, tax return time is really, just nothing less, than the Second Birth of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment